Monday, August 20, 2007

on our way


I'm at the Heathrow airport in London right now! The following is actually a blog I wrote yesterday, at Geir Edvin and Nina's cabin. Now that I have internet access, I am posting it! :)

People have been asking me lately, “Are you ready?” The answer I give them is “I think so?”. But really, during these past days in Norway, I don’t think it has actually hit me that in not so long, I’ll be going to Ethiopia -- and staying there -- for nine months. That is, it didn’t hit me until my team and I packed ourselves and all of our luggage into one of the good ol’ YWAM Skien vans, and drove away from Grimerud (the place where we had a week of training).

So yes, this past week we were at Grimerud - the main YWAM Norway base. I was at Grimerud for the last Worker’s Gathering, in January. But oh wow, it’s so much more beautiful now, in the Summer. I’ve so much enjoyed being in Norway for these (almost) two weeks! It’s almost like being back in my “second home”. Anyway, this time around at Grimerud, we had an intense “crash course” week of training on different subjects, including mission, teamwork, language learning, culture, prayer on the mission field, ministry to muslims, poverty, and development work. Whew! It was a lot of fun… it kind of reminded me of being back in DTS during the “lecture phase”. But I’m glad to be done with it now, and as much as I like being in Norway, I’m excited to actually GO to Ethiopia and have the challenge of putting into practice what we’ve been listening to in all of the teaching.

Since Friday, our team has been staying at a cozy Norwegian cabin in the woods. It’s been nice and relaxing. Yesterday I picked wild blueberries! I felt like I was in Little House on the Prairie… or like I was one of the “Matchbox Children”. hehe. It was fun. Today we went for a walk in the woods, and took some team pictures. It’s beautiful here, and I’m very much enjoying seeing and being in God’s creation! :) Tomorrow, bright and early, we will drive to the airport. Our plane leaves at 7:50am, I believe. We’ll have two connecting flights: London and Alexandria, Egypt! We’ll arrive in Ethiopia at 3:00ish in the morning, and that very same morning, we will begin our language school! We’ll be going to this language school (learning Oromo) for the first 4 weeks in Ethiopia. Then we’ll travel south to our soon-to-be home in Koffele!
HERE'S SOME PICTURES!
The Ethiopia Team: Evan, Jorun, Amund, Brittney, Melissa



Grimerud

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Great pictures Melissa! What a beautiful place...and what an awesome looking team!

Love ya!
Mom

MarniMadine said...

That is so cool. =) I am so excited for you melissa! I agree with your mom, the team pictures are great. You are gonna be so blessed in Ethiopia and you are gonna bless so many people. I love you Melissa! You're amazing.

-Marni

Terry said...

Thanks for updating your blog Melissa. The pics are great too! Did you get a chance to see the pyramids as you flew over (and landed in) Egypt? What's Ethiopia like so far? We're praying for you and your team, Melissa!

Lots of Love,
Dad

helina said...

Greetings from Skien base!
You guys are probably having some crazy exciting times over there.
Say my greetings to others.
Be blessed my dear ex roommate :)

Malin said...

Melissa!!! :) Aw, it was AWESOME to see that you have a "coming-to-ethiopia" -blogg, and it was also cool the see the team-pic!!! The first day I visited you guys at Grimerud has somehow stuck with me as one of my best days this summer!!!:) Seeing you and so many other people that I truly loove in the dining-room, while drinking tea(!) and just talking!!... What can ever be better than that?!! ;)

Sorry that I'm "so long on it" - but, again, I just want to say that I wish you all the best and above that for the time you are in Ethiopia!!!:) You're fabulous individual!!:) Hugs -Malin

Terry said...

Hello to all of Melissa's friends and family. She asked me to post this comment to tell all of you that she doesn't have access to her blog space while she is in Addis Ababa (the capital of Ethiopia). She apologizes for not being able to post any updates lately. She will be in Addis for another 2 to 3 weeks learning the Oromo language and studying the culture before she goes to the village of Kofele where she will be doing her ministry. Please keep her in your prayers as she continues to prepare for her time in Kofele -- pray for good health, safety, that their car would be reliable, and that she would be able to learn the language well.

Melissa sends her love and thanks to all of you!

I thank you also for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers.

Debbie (Melissa's Mom)

Terry said...

Hello to all of Melissa's friends and family. She asked me to post this comment to tell all of you that she doesn't have access to her blog space while she is in Addis Ababa (the capital of Ethiopia). She apologizes for not being able to post any updates lately. She will be in Addis for another 2 to 3 weeks learning the Oromo language and studying the culture before she goes to the village of Kofele where she will be doing her ministry. Please keep her in your prayers as she continues to prepare for her time in Kofele -- pray for good health, safety, that their car would be reliable, and that she would be able to learn the language well.

Melissa sends her love and thanks to all of you!

I thank you also for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers.

Debbie (Melissa's Mom)

Terry said...

TO ALL OF MELISSA'S FRIENDS AND FAMILY -- SHE ASKED US TO SEND YOU THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:

"I have limited internet access here in Ethiopia and I am not able to update my blog or myspace. I would love to hear from you all. Please email me at abeja88@yahoo.com Thanks for your faithful prayers, support, and friendship."

Love,
Melissa

AND HER PARENTS!

Terry said...

TO ALL OF MELISSA'S FRIENDS AND FAMILY -- SHE ASKED US TO SEND YOU THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:

"I have limited internet access here in Ethiopia and I am not able to update my blog or myspace. I would love to hear from you all. Please email me at abeja88@yahoo.com Thanks for your faithful prayers, support, and friendship."

Love,
Melissa

AND HER PARENTS!